The Speaker’s primary responsibility is to:
• Preside at meetings of council;
• Ensure that Council meets at least once quarterly;
• Maintain order during council meetings;
• Ensure compliance in the council and council committees with the Code of Conduct;
• Ensure that council meetings are conducted in accordance with the rules and orders of Raymond Mhlaba Council;
• Ensure that Councillors and Traditional leaders get adequate notice of meetings
The Mayor is the senior political office bearer of a municipality. The work of the Council is co-ordinated by a Mayor who is elected by Council. The Mayor is assisted by councilors in an Executive Committee (elected by council) or a Mayoral Committee (appointed by the mayor). The Mayor together with the Executive or Mayoral Committee
The office of the Chief Whip is administered by Cllr Lindelwa Doris Penisi in her capacity as the Chief Whip of Raymond Mhlaba Local Municipality. The role of the Chief Whip of Council covers both the Political and Administrative domains of Council, with an emphasis on the political aspect. The Chief Whip is supported politically by party Whips who are responsible for ensuring that committee meeting form a quorum, that councillors attend meetings and committee meetings and represent their parties in the programming committee.
Ward Committees are the vehicles through which the notions of a participatory democracy and a representative democracy as outlined in Section 152 of the Constitution become a reality.