In May 2017, Raymond Mhlaba Local Municipality adopted its first Integrated Development Plan (IDP 2017/18-2021/22) for the municipality. The IDP was developed in accordance with requirements set out in the Municipal Systems Act (32 of 2000) and Local Government Municipal Planning and Performance Management Regulations (2001). The municipality is currently reviewing its IDP for 2021/ 2022 financial year.
In order to ensure certain minimum quality standards of the Integrated Development Plan (IDP), and a proper coordination between and within spheres of government, the preparation of the process plan has been regulated in the Municipal Systems Act (32 of 2000). The preparation of the process plan, which is in essence the IDP process set out in writing, requires the adoption by Council. This plan has to include the following:
- A programme specifying the timeframes for the different planning steps;
- Appropriate mechanisms, processes and procedures for consultation and participation of local communities, organ of state, traditional authorities, and other role players in the IDP drafting process;
- An indication of the organizational arrangements for the IDP process;
- Binding plans and planning requirements, i.e. policy and legislation; and
- Mechanisms and procedures for vertical and horizontal alignment.